Kamis, 22 September 2011

JOHNY MY FRIEND

I had a friend
His name was Johny
'twas at my first day at school
A day bright and sunny
When we met first
in the playground,
'mid noise and dust
He got in me a friend
And I in him a friend found.

We became the best of friends


    Before much time did run
    And passed all turns and bends
    In our school life with elan.
    If he scored big and I couldn't
    He wished I could too
    If got I good marks and he didn't
    How I wished he too got so.
    In the football ground
    If I helped him score a goal
    Danced I round and round
    And then he managed to get me
    In the school play, a good role.
    At lunchtime we shared our tiffin
    And exchanged books of ghosts and goblin.
    Together we came, 'gether did we go
    Even a'ter school did we hang around
    Saw the same thing, heard the same sound.


    And then happened the inevitable.
    A shocking thing, a thing terrible!
    Johny's dad had an accident
    And he breathed his last.
    To his home I went
    The room was full, many came
    Shaking their heads and speaking words same
    "Johny's dad, a good man
    Hardly a time to die
    May rest his soul in heaven
    And his bones in peace lie"
    Soon they took him away
    In a coffin brought in a hurry
    The priest spoke, the ground was made hollow
    And saw to it all
    That he lay six feet below.


    Johny came to school, one last time
    He bade us goodbye, his mom
    Was taking him far
    To the ranch of his grandfather.
    "Will you never come back?" asked I
    He shook his head and hugged me
    And said to me "goodbye"!
    Then Johny turned back
    That his tears I can't see
    But a friend's sorrow can a friend feel
    And though misty eyes made vision lack
    I could see enough still
    That the width 'tween us grew, away went he.


    Letters were a bridge
    But they were few
    And though I did fidge'
    In my heart I knew
    Distance was having indeed
    It's dirty effect on us
    Now alone I did tread
    Where we spent times together
    Laughed, cried and had a fight
    Now he was far
    And for some reason or other
    'twas not possible we could meet.
    Slowly, life made impossible
    Even letters to write.
    New friends came, and then
    Life did not seem so unfit .


    But then, we were destined to meet!


    A fine night it was
    I was waiting with bated breath
    before a glittering theatre
    with scribes, fans and cops armed to teeth.
    Then I saw a car
    And up went a roar
    From the crowd. A huge car
    pulled up before us.
    And there was a ruckus.
    "John! John Dawson!" cried out a belle.
    Out came the man within,
    "Johny! Hey Johny!" cried out I.
    But how hard may I try
    I knew I couldn't be seen.
    He blew a kiss and to everyone waved
    Then the one whom all craved
    Vanished inside the hall
    Heard he not my frenetic call
    He had company; scribes and big stars
    With whom he'll pass the hours.
    My heart sank. I lost the only
    chance. Now the gap 'tween us
    was wide as ever. And most certainly
    I could never meet him. I cursed myself profusely.
    to have come here.
    I came to meet Johny my friend.
    Not Johny the superstar.
    Another roar did the skies rend.
    I looked at the crowd
    they were as if chanting his name.
    Suddenly, I felt proud
    They all loved my friend, the Johny same.
    "Why be selfish?" I told myself
    I should be proud and glad
    That the Johny I knew, the little lad
    Had come this far. My Johny dear!
    I thanked God that I came here.
    I came to meet Johny and I met John
    Yet I felt happy that
    'twas after all the same Johny
    Who once with me at school sat
    And now the love of all who has won.








Artikel Terkait